Reports to: Head of Business Support
Direct reports: SHE Advisors, Assistant SHE Advisors
Liaising with: SHEQ Team, Contracts Managers, other operational staff and subcontractors
Hours of work: 0730-1730 Monday to Friday
Location: Based at Head Office, Meelin House, Enfield, but will involve travel around London and South East of England (As a guide Affinity Water, South East Water & Thames Water areas)
Manage the health, safety, environmental and quality function for the Company, ensuring legislation is adhered to and policies are enforced.
• Be responsible for providing strategic safety, health, environmental and quality management advice and engage, support and positively influence directors, managers and supervisors to discharge their responsibilities for health, safety and environmental.
• Lead the implementation of initiatives to drive continual improvement of safety, health, environment and quality in the Company.
• Monitor, review and update health, safety, environmental and quality policies, procedures and documentation, ensuring they comply with the requirements of ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 standards. Implement necessary improvements.
• Manage the certification process for ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 45001 standards. Lead all surveillance and certification audits.
• Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all legislation, policies and procedures, technical standards and codes of practice and any developments that affect the industry.
• Be accountable for validating and approving subcontractor’s pre-qualification checks and support subcontractor onboarding.
• Ensure arrangements are made for employee consultation, and that a robust process for the communication of all matters related to safety, health, environment, and quality is in place.
• Manage and lead all incident investigations, ensuring investigations produced are of sufficient quality and within prescribed timescales. Monitor the quality and effectiveness of reports, ensuring root causes are established, corrective actions and recommendations have been fully implemented to avoid recurrences and management controls remain effective.
• Manage an effective inspection and internal audit plan, ensuring that the SHEQ Team carries out a sufficient level of site inspections and internal audits of processes. Monitor and track inspection and audit information to look for trends and compliance with SHEQ management systems. Take appropriate action when areas of potential weakness are identified.
• Ensure that the SHEQ Team has sufficient competent resource to support Operations, providing assistance, coaching and advice where required.
• Liaise with external bodies including the Health and Safety Executive, Clients and other stakeholders.
• Provide input into prequalification and tender submissions.
• Prepare regular reports on operational SHEQ performance.
• Prepare and present at Client HSE forums.
• Thorough knowledge of appropriate health, safety and environmental legislation and 9001, 14001 and 45001.
• Ability to set the health, safety, environmental and quality strategy for the Company
• Proven experience of establishing health, safety, environmental and quality processes and procedures
• Ability to use monitoring and auditing results to drive continuous improvement
• Ability to establish and lead a team of SHE advisors
• Ability to communicate and influence effectively at all organisational levels
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills. Capable of delivering articulate presentations.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook)
• NEBOSH Diploma or NVQ Level 5 Diploma in Occupational H&S Practice
• Minimum 5 years’ health, safety and environmental experience
• Hold or working towards Chartership of Institution of Occupational Safety & Health
• Must hold a current UK Driving License
• IEMA Certificate in Environmental Management
• Bachelor’s Degree
• ISO 9001 / 14001 / 45001 Internal Auditor