Vacancy for SHEQ Advisor
Reports to: SHEQ Manager
Direct reports: None
Liaising with: SHEQ Team, Contracts Managers, other Operational staff and subcontractors
Hours of work: 0730-1730 Monday to Friday
Location: London and South East of England
(As a guide Affinity Water, South East Water & Thames Water areas)
To provide advice, assistance and guidance to operations with regards to the management of health, safety and environmental issues. To monitor compliance with company H&S policies, procedures and legislation. Be familiar with, and demonstrate commitment to, the requirements of the Health & Safety and Environmental policies.
- Monitor operational teams via site safety inspections and management audits to determine whether work is being carried out in accordance with Company policy, procedures and relevant statutory legislation.
- Stopping work at any time where compliance with health, safety or environmental legislation is in question and implement corrective action before leaving site where at all possible.
- Undertake internal audits and produce reports based on findings.
- Carry out procurement and yard/depot audits for our subcontractors in line with statement of requirements.
- Attend monthly 1-1 meetings with suppliers/subcontractors.
- Carry out incident investigations ensuring that investigations produced are of sufficient quality and completed within prescribed timescales complying with 2, 2 and 2 reporting process. Produce reports based on the findings with relevant recommendations highlighted for Management.
- Produce and deliver toolbox talks, monthly focuses and appropriate H&S training materials about health and safety issues and risks.
- Carry out inductions, D&A testing and other training as required.
- Assist with updating and further developing the Health, Safety and Environmental management systems
- Providing support to the operational teams in the necessary guidance, briefing and training required by individuals to carry out their work. Ensure employees are aware of their statutory duties and responsibilities and understand the requirements of company procedures.
- Review and assist with production of risk assessments, safe systems of work, construction phase health, safety and environmental plans.
- Review sub-contractor RAMS.
- Provide advice on a range of specialist areas, e.g. risk assessments, CDM, excavations, hazardous substances, working at height, safeguarding machinery and occupational health, etc.
- Liaise with external bodies including the Health and Safety Executive, Clients and other stakeholders as directed by the SHE Manager.
- Arrange and facilitate employee H&S committee meetings and safety stand downs as appropriate.
- Attend, support and represent H&S at operational meetings.
- Support with the cascading of relevant H&S information and updates.
- Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of legislation and any developments that affect the industry.
- Produce reports on work/projects/activities carried out.
- Act as a role model at all times in support of the company’s vision, priorities and values.
- Carry out any other duties appropriate for the role.
Minimum 2 years’ previous experience as a Health & Safety Advisor in a construction environment (Utilities experience desirable)
• Consistently demonstrate high standards of safety behaviour, leading by example, promoting safety culture
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to influence at all levelss
• Ability to manage potential conflict during site inspections with operational teams
• Capable of delivering confident articulate presentations
• Good time management skills and able to work to deadlines
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook)
• NEBOSH (General or Construction Certificate)
• Working towards NEBOSH Diploma or NVQ Level 5 Diploma in Occupational H&S
• Must hold a current UK Driving License
• CSCS Card (appropriate type)
• Environmental qualification
• EUSR National Water Hygiene Trainer
• City & Guilds in Confined Spaces
• Face Fit Tester
• NRSWA Supervisors
• Temporary Works Coordinator
Apply for this job